Phoenix Cycling Club is delighted to once again host its annual Sportive on Sunday 28th April 2018.
This year two routes will be offered – one of 80km and longer route stretching to 110km. The entry fee for each courses is £20.
The Sportive will start and end at the Lisburn Racquets Club taking cyclists through picturesque Co Down, skirting the commanding Slieve Croob mountain, known locally as ‘The Twelve Cairns’ before turning North East to avoid the Mountains of Mourne to return to Lisburn.
The 80k route will leave Lisburn towards Annahilt to the crossroads at Kinallen (“beautiful headland”). It will then head onwards toward the hamlet of Katesbridge, which is named after Kate McKay, and then onto Castlewellan for refreshments at The Lodge. The route will then proceed via Annsborough, Spa and Ballynahinch before returning to Lisburn Racquets Club for a post ride meal and the opportunity to regale your cycling companions with your achievements.
The 110km route will follow the same route to Castlewellan. After refreshments at the The Lodge, the route will head via Newcastle, Dundrum, Clough, Downpatrick, Killyleagh, Darragh Cross, Saintfield, Temple before returning to Lisburn Racquets Club. This longer route is a challenging route aimed at experienced cyclist.
Thanks to the generous support from the Phoenix Cycling Club’s sponsors and the supporters of the Sportive all money raised from the cycle challenge will be donated to two great charities Autism NI and the Cancer Fund for Childern. These charities is continuing to break new ground and reach deeper into the heart of local communities throughout Northern Ireland and beyond in order to really make a difference to people’s lives.
Facilities on the day will include
- Refreshments in Castlewellan
- Meal at the finish
- First Aid
- Broom Wagon
- Cancellations ~ we cannot refund entry fees after the application has been processed.
- Registration between 9.15am and 9.45am. Please arrive on time.
- Starting at 10:00am
- Helmets must be worn at all times
- Rules of the road must be followed at all times.
- Personal information will not be passed to any third parties.
- All participating cycling must have insurance cover via membership to a national cycling association such as Cycling Ireland. For people who are not members of Cycling Ireland an Event Licence Fee (ELF), formerly called One Day Licence (ODL’s), will be available offers the same insurance cover as full members but only for Phoenix 2019 Charity Sportive at a cost of £5.