Welcome to Phoenix Cycling Club.
Why join us?
- Cycling Ireland Membership
- Be part of a community
- Be insured for personal accident and third party
- Access to 100’s of events taking place throughout the year
- Avail of various discounts from our partners and sponsors
- Coach education programmes
- Develop cyclists from grass roots to high performance
Phoenix Cycling Club membership:
Phoenix CC is a large club serving the wider Belfast area.
We have a membership of over 300 cyclists and supporters. Membership with Phoenix will offer you:
- Friendship, Craic and Camaraderie
- Phoenix Club kit, against charge
- Voting rights on club businesses where appropriate
- Opportunity to make presentation to the Management
- Committee with any topics you wish to bring to their attention
- Various discounts for goods and services from our sponsors
- Support in open competitions, such as team entries, race support and logistics
- Coaching (under development)
- organised training runs on various days throughout the week and covering a range of disciplines
- club competition for road race and time trial
- organised training weeks and sportives abroad
- social activities such as annual prize presentation, leisure cycles and BBQ
As a member of Phoenix Cycling Club you are asked to:
- comply with all policies and procedures (under development, to be found on the member’s section of the message board
- wear your club kit with pride and ensure acceptable standards of behaviour when doing so (refer to ‘Code of Conduct in Member’s’ area on the message board)
- make use of your voting rights
- support the club’s activities through volunteering at club organised events for at least 1 day per year
As a Phoenix Club member you could also:
- Contribute your ideas to the club’s development in the first instance by speaking to a member of the committee
- Stand for election at the Annual General Meeting to join the Management Committee
- join a sub-committee (such as Youth Development, Race Committee) or working group (for Cyclo-Cross, or various open race and leisure events)
We are one of the biggest and oldest cycling clubs in the British Isles participating in all forms of cycling. Having such a large membership has caused some communication problems for us in reaching all our members. This website (www.phoenixcc.net) is the most important tool we possess to relay information to the membership, so please take some time to familiarise yourself with the layout and content. The most important section is the message board and the section “General Board”. This is where all up to the minute club information about events and what is happening is stored. Under “contacts” you will find details of your committee should you want to contact them.
The club is regularly active in most forms of cycling and our main weekly activity is our Saturday morning club run from the House of Sport leaving at 9.30.
For most members the weekly Saturday and Sunday club runs leaving from the House of Sport at 0930 is their main club activity. On Saturdays (the more popular day) up to 80 riders leave to cover various distances at different speeds. Usually 5 runs leave, distances range from 35 miles to 75 miles with the fastest run averaging 20mph and the slowest run about 14 mph, so there is something for everyone. Please come along, you will be made to feel very welcome.
A number of members compete in local road races during the summer months as well as our weekly Tuesday night club handicap races that are run on a league basis to find our club league champion.
Women are well represented at our club runs, club races and open races
We have a fast growing off road section which meets in the winter on a Tuesday night for a run around the parkland adjacent to the river Lagan. These are led by Jonnie Bogues, who can be contacted on email@example.com, for more information. Some club members also participate in cyclocross and MTB racing during autumn, spring and summer.
Leisure cycling is all about enjoying your bike and great company. It can be on or off road, though in Phoenix it is mainly road based. The venues can be on our doorstep, although in recent years more and more cyclists from the club are travelling to Majorca, the Alps and the Pyrenees to indulge themselves in their favourite sport.
The club is pleased to have as sponsors Traction Finance, McConvey Cycles and Gerard Maguire Solicitors. Discounts are available to members at McConveys on production of your club membership card.